Anna’s room is coming right along! I’m excited to show you guys the finished product, but I’m still wrapping a few loose ends. Oh…and that WINDOW BENCH! It turned out amazing! I’m waiting on two itsy bitsy details on that one and then I can call it done! Anyway….
Now that I can FINALLY see the direction Miss Anna’s room is going, it was time to start pulling some finishing touches together. I had this idea for a fun, little, scallop lamp shade when I was working on Dawn’s room (Didn’t see Dawn’s room? Click here.) Ultimately, Dawn’s room took a different direction, but I filed that little lamp shade idea away to be pulled out when the occasion arose. Well…Anna’s room was such an occasion.
First, I started by making a template for my scallops. After deciding on how big I wanted the scallops to be, and how many would fit nicely around the circumference of my lamp shade, I created a template on the computer. I made a 2.5″ circle and printed it out. I cut it out, folded it in half, and voila, my scallop template was made.
I used a small piece of tape to help me hold it in place as I traced each scallop around the bottom edge of the lamp shade.
I learned this lesson the hard way: A painted lamp shade might look beautiful once it’s finished…until the lights turned on. Then all the hidden bits come out. With that in mind, I tried to trace as lightly as possible with a pencil. I didn’t want to see any hidden lines when the light turned on.
Once it was dry, it was ready to hang up.
(If you’re wondering why I didn’t just hang this from the ceiling as the SEKOND cord kit intends, we have vaulted ceilings and the cord simply wasn’t long enough.)
First I started by placing one of the hooks that came with the SEKOND cord set into a hole on the end of the bracket. The hole is intended to screw the bracket into the bottom of a shelf. If you’ll notice, the bracket is longer on one side than the other. I wanted the longer side to be parallel to the ground so the lamp shade wouldn’t brush the wall as it hung. I decided how low I wanted the lamp to hang and added the plastic piece to the cord to lock it in place and hang it up. After marking where the screws would go on the wall for the bracket, and adding anchors, I loosely hung the top portion of the bracket into the wall so I could fit the cord behind it. Once I had it, and the cord, placed where I wanted it, I put the bottom screw in as tight as I could. At this point the bracket seemed to be leaning in one direction so I folded up a piece of paper and shoved it behind it to hold it in place. You’ll notice something behind the bracket in the picture. That’s the paper.
That was it. Not terrible hard, or expensive. I’m so happy I decided to file this little idea away a few months ago. The scallops add the perfect little touch of whimsy to a once boring lamp shade, and hanging the shade from the bracket frees up more space on Anna’s side table for all of her “stuff”.